Founder, National Coalition of CPE Instructors
January 2014 - October 2014
- Constructed a fully functional webcast platform and customer database
- Created instructor contract
- Filmed, edited and produced over 30 hours of continuing education for CPAs
- Ensured certified compliance with NASBA (CPE accrediting organization)
I constructed a fully functional (video, attendance checks, certificate), compliant video-based webcast learning platform that improved upon many of the quality and customer service issues of existing learning delivery systems.
Director of Distance Learning, CalCPA Education Foundation
July 2009 - January 2014
Facilitated continuous growth in online education output and revenue:
- 120 eight-hour video webcasts of live events (FY10-11)
- 570 events, $4.5 million in revenue and 30,000 registrations (FY13-14)
I played an instrumental role in CalCPA's ever-accelerating transition to distance learning, responsible for all aspects of organizational capacity building, webcast production, and customer experience. This included, but was not limited to database construction, equipment selection and purchase, facility planning (nearly all the FY11-12 webcasts took place in various hotels and convention centers throughout the state), budgeting, processes and procedures, hiring and managing staff, regulatory compliance. I wrote the RFP and specifications used in the search for a new webcast platform vendor. We successfully and inexpensively produced each event with a team of one or two staff people per webcast. The team I supervised ranged between 4 and 8 at various times during my tenure.
Director of Communications and Marketing, California Society of CPAs
August 2006 - July 2009
I oversaw the production of California CPA, the organization's monthly magazine, as well as various print materials and collateral. I created and managed all of CalCPA's social media endeavors (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, a number of specialty Ning sites, and the iTunes podcast stream), while also supervising the staff and activity of the CalCPA Institute, responsible for raising awareness about financial literacy. I supervised a team of 5.
Director of Communications, American Society for Public Administration
September 1996 - September 1999, August 2004 - September 2005
- Created the organization's first website
- Oversaw all aspects of production of its peer-reviewed journal and monthly newspaper
- Organized the annual conference (8 tracks; 100 sessions; 1,200 attendees)
- Edited and produced numerous textbooks
- Among these, Performance Measurement was one of ASPA's best selling publications.
ASPA vigorously maintains its position as a point of collaboration between researchers and practitioners of public administration. I managed the organization's communications toward maximizing appeal to both audiences. The number of employees I managed during my tenure ranged between 2 and 7.
Web Development Associate, American Red Cross
October 2000 - February 2003
- Wrote, edited, and coded articles for the national organization's public website (redcross.org)
Covered Red Cross relief efforts in NYC following the 9/11 terrorist attacks
- Managed the overhaul of the national organization's intranet (CrossNet)
- Success in this endeavor required diplomatic internal PR to convince the leadership that HQ (the information provider) was not the “client”. Rather, the needs of the 1,000,000 users at local chapters should drive content, organization, and structure of the site.
I learned much about large-scale communication strategies during one of the most challenging periods in Red Cross history.
English Teacher, China Institute of Metrology, Hangzhou, China
March 2003 - July 2004
Taught English as a foreign language to more than 300 Chinese university students in one of China's rapidly growing east-coast cities
Freelance Author, Editor, Publisher, Various Organizations, Washington, DC
July 1995 - October 2002
Example deliverables include writing the monthly Pulmonary Coding Review, designing and publishing a 500-page technical manual for McGraw Hill, editing multimillion-dollar proposals for Computer Sciences Corporation, and creating the annual report for the Administrative Offices of the US Courts.
- Managerial and business development:
- Strategic planning
- Motivating staff and resolving conflicts
- Advanced MS Office Suite proficiency
- Google (Analytics, AdWords)
- Project management (OpenProj, Basecamp)
- Data analysis (R - stats and forecasting software)
- Public speaking
- Board and committee staffing
- Video and audio recording and editing:
- FinalCut Pro
- Adobe After Effects
- Web design, programming, DB and CMS:
- jQuery Mobile
- Webcast and learning management:
- Adobe Connect
- GoTo Meeting and GoTo Webinar
- Peach New Media
2015-present (expected completion: 2016),
Nanodegree in Data Science
Saybrook Graduate School and Research Center, San Francisco, CA
2004-2006, (all but thesis)
Georgetown University, Washington, DC
1984-1988, BA English
Case Studies: Challenges and Solutions